Wednesday 11 September 2013

Telephone companies in Qatar

When I came in Qatar in February 2013, I got a PAYG sim from QTel, who are now named Ooredoo. 

With family in the UK, I was worried that those older family members who do not have Skype will find it expensive to call me and visa versa.

BT charge a ridiculous cost to those calling Qatar, but those who call the UK will find it is very reasonable. 

With Ooredoo when you top-up 100qar, you will receive 20free international minutes each time. Eg 200qar means 40 free international minutes. 

Should you eat through those, and are a fellow chatterbox, the cost to call a UK landline is vey reasonable - around 20p a minute. Amazing, I know!! 

Top up Ooredoo online

In Qatar you usually go into the shop and buy a voucher to top-up your phone.  But last night I realised I can now do this online, via Ooredoo's website - hooray! 

Alternatively, you can use a machine outside, or inside, an Ooredoo shop. The machine looks a bit like a cash point.  It's very simple and thankfully offers the process in English too. 

So, this is a little insight into what I use and how I top-up my Ooredoo mobile number online. 

Oh! In Qatar how your telephone number flows is very much keeping up with the jones'... If your number has double digits increasing numerically eg 66 77 88, then you've hit jackpot - but you probably won't get that. But having your number sound expensive is a good thing too. To say 'double three- double five ...' Etc also makes life easier! 

Good luck! 




No comments:

Post a Comment