Thursday 5 June 2014

Renewing UK Passport from Qatar

How to renew your British passport while in Qatar




Currently going through a, what I think, bad experience of renewing whilst remaining in Qatar, my first thoughts are.... DON'T DO IT.

However, as a professional and a caring person I shall put my experience aside and give you a helping hand.

In brief: Your passport will be sent to the UK, it will not be renewed here in Qatar - save pennies for the process and the DHL courier charges!

Step 1:  Take yourself to the UK website and commence the process - it's relatively easy, phew!


Step 2: When  you have filled out the forms, printed them off, taken your photos and have everything ready to ship, call DHL and organise a collection.  My company has a corporate account so it only cost me 120QR, before I mentioned the corporate account I was quoted 380 QR (April 2014).

Step 3: Keep the tracking number and make sure it reaches the UK and is signed for by someone.

Step 4: During step 1 you will have been sent an email with your tracking log on details: username and a password.  Take yourself to this website and track away!



How long will it take to renew my passport from Qatar?


It really depends on the time of year you have sent your passport off for renewal.  Summer time is peak so expect to receive your new copy back in 8 weeks.

Do they send back the old passport with my RP inside?

Yes - or so I have been advised.  2 weeks after receiving my new passport, i've not yet received my old one.

Overall experience?

My personal experience is still ongoing - 11 weeks of stress and it's still not over.  No-body calls or e-mails you back after logging a complaint,  no matter how many supervisors and managers log a complaint on your behalf.

Most of the people I know began and finished the process in 4 weeks.  The office received my application on the 8th April, I received my new passport on 24th May.  I was told, up-to 14-days after receiving my new passport, I will receive my old one back..... it's the 5th June and i'm still waiting.  I asked them for the tracking number 'sorry, we don't have them.  If your passport doesn't come on the 14th day call us back'.  I shall refrain from boring my readers, but i'm still in for a long ride ahead.

Why do you need your old passport?  My RP expired during this process and as a result I don't have a valid, ID, Medical cover (not great when you're pregnant) and i'm an illegal immigrant!  The longer it takes, the closer I am to facing fines and court hearings as to why i've not renewed my RP.  Sadly, the UK really don't care about my situation and do not want to help..... nor does the Embassy here in Doha for that matter.  I managed to get a letter from the Consular in Doha (which I paid 300QR for) to say my passport is delayed, other than that they don't assist.  At the moment, I cannot leave the country, keep on top of my maternity scans and tests, provide a valid ID anywhere that needs it!  

But it's your own fault, I hear you cry..... when I went through the process the website advised me that it takes 4 weeks - having friends here back that up I was confident 4 weeks I would have both passports in my hands.  When I chased up on the 4th week as to where my passport was, the website had updated itself to say '8 weeks'.  I thought it wouldn't apply to me as I sent it beginning of April, not May, however it wasn't so.

I will keep you updated!

Good luck!!


No comments:

Post a Comment